Promoting Disaster Risk Reduction Capabilities in deprived fisher folk of coastal area of Lasbela District and women empowerment through Enterprises Development:
Project Supported by: Canada Fund For Local Initiative (CFLI)
Coastal statlemnet of lasbela district are highly proven to natural disaster including Tsunami, storms, surges, rain, floods. sea erosion and droughts. This natural and human induced disaster do not received the attention they deserve by authority and have negative efforts on the safety and livelihood of fishing community. CFLI support CARD-Pakistan, in FY 2016-2017 to address local disaster management mechanism: Woman`s economic developed and improving capacity of fisherman CARD-Pak has applied again to concertize the partnership and linkages that were develop with they Lasbela Chamber of Commerce, Provincial and district disaster management authorities and the fisheries department.
Hub city has more than 200 industrial units according to labour department Lasbela districit there are 17,000 male workers and 2000 women workers are employed in the industries at Hub. Mostly women workers are non local as they come from Karachi because the majority of local woman unskilled. The project will therefore, established technical skilled development and training center to assets woman in developing/enhancing there skill and marketing there products at a large skill. this project will trained traditional volunteers from the community that were not targeted in last year CFLI funded projects to support the already established Disaster Early warning information and training center , In addition this project will trained additional fisherman and improved fishing skills and Technics.
The project also envisages to establish a Women Technical and Skill Development Training and Information Center at HUB LEIDA, which will undertake the following:
- Train women in basic skills and modifying their home made products
- Provide information to women seeking to establish their own business.
- Advice women seeking connection and networking with women entrepreneurs.
- Disseminate information to achieve economic stability.
- Make liaison for job placement for skilled women.
- Help the businesses and entrepreneurs to be registered in Lasbela Chamber of Commerce and industry and its membership.
- Promote E-commerce by using social media to advertise the home-made products to attract the national and international buyers.
- Establish a catalogue for the products to be advertised.
- Create linkages among Home-based women workers and entrepreneurs for better results by sharing ideas and cooperation.
Project Activities :
- E stablish a Women Technical and Skill Development Training and Information Center at HUB LEIDA,
- Development of baseline for Coastal Zone Management Plan
- Two Days Volunteer Training on First Aid and Role & Responsibilities of Rescue and Response
- Two days Eco-System based Disaster Risk reduction (Eco-DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) for integrated coastal zone management (ICZM) training for Stakeholders like including LUAWMS University Students, staff of Fisheries Department, DDMA and EPA .
- One day Training to 150 male and Female ( 6 sessions consisting 25 each) Community-based climate change adaptation and coastal hazards mitigation and preparedness along the Gaddani City Balochistan Coast.
- Awareness meetings shell be conducted with religious stakeholders and schools (Girls and Boys) such as mosques, temples and Zikar Khannas for their use for early warning systems.
- Meeting with of Project Advisory Committee were regularly held
- 30 ha Mangrove plantation to act as a Bio-shield
- Development and dissemination of IEC Material on disaster Management and women enterprises.